Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Snipers and realism

Go down 
+11
Redit
Dmitri Orlov
Wilhelm Stahlschmiedt
MSkerke
Werner Jungmann
{SHD}Kimball
Metalbourne
bswearer
Schweitzer
Klaus_Granheim
|GD|-Dieter
15 posters
AuthorMessage
|GD|-Dieter

Snipers and realism Empty
PostSubject: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 am

Hi,

I’v been playing realism RO for a long time now, and I noticed that each time there was a sniper in a team it fucked up the game. The sniper ended up killing all the other team and everything is focused on him (in both teams). It might be nice sometime, to be under a sniper fire from an unknown position, but there is a sniper in nearly every map! So I say: restrict the sniper, only make it available in rare situations.

What do you think about that?

PS: I can’t wait for the 1st battle, keep up the good work! What a Face
PSS: Why is there a minimum number of characters for the title of the post? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Klaus_Granheim

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 7:28 am

I agree, not that I dislike snipers or any such notion. It is just that it is not possible for the game to use typical anti-marksmen measures employed on the E. Front (mortars, heavy weapons fire). Typically a good marksmen would end up facing another marksmen if he operated in an area for too long. And the Soviets employed far more than the Germans did. I think they have a place in the TOC campaign, but should be rare, and thus forced to be used very sparingly by their commanders.

But it is realistic for a good marksmen to slow down or halt a much much larger enemy force in its tracks until countermeasures could be brought up.
Back to top Go down
|GD|-Dieter

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 11:50 am

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Schweitzer
Army Group Commander
Schweitzer

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:49 pm

I agree with maybe having a limited number of sniper deployments, sounds good.

However Germans used a large amount of marksmen, usually about 4 per company. Not true snipers for they used 1.5x zoom ZF41s. But there was a very large amount of them and they were prevalent and very much a part of company sized attacks and defenses.
Back to top Go down
bswearer
Unit Commander

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:54 pm

i would assume that the sniper role, or the sniper rifle itself would be considered resources that armies could purchase or get as supplies.....similar to vehicles...that way they would be limited in supply and accesibility.
Back to top Go down
Schweitzer
Army Group Commander
Schweitzer

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:31 am

Agreed. Though is it possible to use it exactly like tanks as per death? It would really be on the honor system then?

Also there might come times when the rifle is given to another player for use for whatever reason. Or if they die and another person picks it up. Im assuming all this will be allowed, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of realism IMO.
Back to top Go down
|GD|-Dieter

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 5:42 am

Yea, I think we should just make it not possible to have a sniper in each map.
Back to top Go down
Metalbourne
Admin
Metalbourne

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:33 am

I could make a voting thread to see if we should even allow snipers at all. This is something we didn't discuss before because we never really allowed snipers on maps.

Snipers in my opinion makes realism camping even worse in game. Both sides are afraid to move out because of the long range killing ability. In real life a sniper can bog down a good size unit for a long time and I don't think we really want that in game, plus everyone may fight over the sniper role because most units will be fighting along side other units and argue that they have better snipers. My vote is to just leave them out like we've always done.
Back to top Go down
https://theatreofconflict.forumotion.com
{SHD}Kimball

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:55 am

If you've always left out snipers then lets just keep them out.

I vote no snipers.
Back to top Go down
Werner Jungmann

Werner Jungmann

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:01 am

I vote no aswell.
Back to top Go down
MSkerke

MSkerke

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 12:23 pm

I think we should allow some sniper combat, Not just exclude it completely.
Back to top Go down
http://12sshj.clanservers.com
Wilhelm Stahlschmiedt

Wilhelm Stahlschmiedt

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:02 pm

I say that snipers are alotted in sessions so you can only use snipers mabye twice a year, so Army Group commanders will have to use them sparingly and chose to mabye only use them on defensive maps or whatever works best for them. I don't think they should be completely gotten rid of because that were essential to the tactics of both sides during the war.
Back to top Go down
Dmitri Orlov

Dmitri Orlov

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 pm

It's a known fact that snipers were used, so saying no to snipers defeats the whole purpose of realism, I do agree that (good) snipers can take down a whole team, so I agree that they should be limited, but not completely gotten rid of.
Back to top Go down
http://www.invasionx.com/193
Redit
Admin
Redit

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:33 pm

MSkerke wrote:
Back to top Go down
HStrauss
Unit Commander
HStrauss

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Redit wrote:
MSkerke wrote:

agreed
Back to top Go down
http://12sshj.clanservers.com
JSteger

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Of course we should have snipers in the Campaign. Yes, snipers are effective at long ranges but they have a lot of flaws as well.
They are very vulnerable to enemy snipers and ineffective at close ranges.
+it adds to the strategical part of realism.

Snipers and realism Steger_sig
Back to top Go down
Metalbourne
Admin
Metalbourne

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 4:59 pm

Okay, I like the idea of adding maybe 2 per year so the AG Commanders have more to think about before going into battle. The first year would only allow 1 though since we start half-way. Does this sound like a good comprimise to all?
Back to top Go down
https://theatreofconflict.forumotion.com
Klaus_Granheim

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Yes, I think early war they should be quite rare, especially on the German side as they adopted the practice later in response to the Russian threat. But in general, very rare for early war.
Back to top Go down
|GD|-Dieter

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 am

Metalbourne wrote:
Okay, I like the idea of adding maybe 2 per year so the AG Commanders have more to think about before going into battle. The first year would only allow 1 though since we start half-way. Does this sound like a good comprimise to all?

Yes!
Back to top Go down
Redit
Admin
Redit

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 am

Agreed?
Back to top Go down
Schweitzer
Army Group Commander
Schweitzer

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Sounds fair to us. I doubt people will disagree with this idea.

I especially like how it will be rare and quite a shock if the enemy has a good sniper and starts picking people off at extreme ranges.

Is there a way we could implement the oppossing force not knowing what you are commiting to the battle? PMs via master admins (I know some might be fighting in the same battle, but I think they could keep quiet for the sake of having fun). I know this is quite off topic and more broad of an idea but I am curious.
Back to top Go down
Andrej Matkovic

Andrej Matkovic

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Schweitzer wrote:

I especially like how it will be rare and quite a shock if the enemy has a good sniper and starts picking people off at extreme ranges.

Is there a way we could implement the oppossing force not knowing what you are commiting to the battle? PMs via master admins (I know some might be fighting in the same battle, but I think they could keep quiet for the sake of having fun). I know this is quite off topic and more broad of an idea but I am curious.

I actually like this. Is their away to keep it from showing which classes the other team has in game as well? It would add to the surprise factor .
Back to top Go down
Matvei Staroi

Matvei Staroi

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 11:57 pm

Ahab wrote:
Schweitzer wrote:

I actually like this. Is their away to keep it from showing which classes the other team has in game as well? It would add to the surprise factor .
The HUD mutator will take care of that.

As long as no one from the opposing side joins the other team and actually checks the selectable roles, they would not know what they were up against.
Back to top Go down
http://www.invasionx.com
Schweitzer
Army Group Commander
Schweitzer

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 7:45 am

I hope we can implement that easy sounding system as well. I think it would defintley detract from realism and totally change your attack/defense strategy if you pressed F1 and saw a sniper class up on the enemy roster...
Back to top Go down
Friedrich Werner
Admin
Friedrich Werner

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 8:23 am

server admins... let's make sure to implement this mutator.

Edit: Also I am fixing the equipment rosters for all Ais forces to give them 1 Sniper for now. Use it wisely!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snipers and realism   Snipers and realism I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snipers and realism
Page 1 of 1