Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Map/Battle Format

Go down 
+3
Ritter
Friedrich Werner
bswearer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bswearer
Unit Commander

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 am

so, just a couple suggestions that were sharred with me by TWB*Jim Miller about maps being played for realism battles. his idea was to edit all maps to focus on one or two key objectives and have the fighting focused around those area..... from the experiences i've had playing realism, it can be extremely fun, but also extremely tedious if both sides sit back and do nothing for an hour at a time....i think most of the maps that will be used will ok for the style of play, but some may just be huge even for a 25v25, unless adequate halftracks/carriers or players jumping on tanks i guess could work fine. this is all assuming that maps will still have objectives of course......i would really hope they do because a death match style isnt really too realistic. if i were modding the maps (which i pretty much suck at! Laughing ) i would have it realistic to who is making the attack and who is defending and have maybe one large objective or a few small ones...for example: Arad having the two villages as objectives. the other suggestion Jim told me about is perhaps teams fighting in waves. say the attacking team gets a second wave of troops if they capture an objective and the defending team gets a second wave to redeploy to a secondary/final position (objective) to defend it with. i guess this idea might be a good compromise between 1 life and limited respawn. essentially, you would only get 1 life if your army couldn't capture an objective before everyone dies, but the battles could be more intense if focused in smaller areas and could continue with more action if objectives are capped......just some ideas
Back to top Go down
Friedrich Werner
Admin
Friedrich Werner

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 am

are you able to eliminate certain cap zones from the map? This would be cool for certain maps
Back to top Go down
Ritter

Ritter

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:47 am

1. The attacking player knows beforehand(just as the defender) what map will be played before they decide wether or not they will attack, so they can decide wether or not they wish to
fight(defend or attack) on that map, otherwise, they chose not to, simple as that. Obviously, it is the attacker that during battle is urged to launch his attack, and not sit around untill the
battle ends and noone sees an enemy, what else is the point of attacking that map, if no intention exists to assault actually.

2. Each map has several objectives, now if you wish to fight more intense, you can always decide to leave several(or even all but one) objective unoccupied, and focus your defense.
That way the maps need no unnecesary moddings, and since we're not playing on cod maps(to small), but an animated battlefield, keep in mind that those in real life, NEVER had
a predetermined size, and never small, but it remains your choise(as defender) to elliminate parts of it with your defense, just keep in mind, the enemy may occupy that and still launch his
attack from there. The main reason being of course: Realism! This way it allows tactical movement and prevents to much bottleneck situations where the attacker stands no chance and
can only expect to be slaughtered.
Back to top Go down
Metalbourne
Admin
Metalbourne

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 am

Each side has a turn to attack, so in essance if the AG commander decides not to attack then that's up to them. The Germans will basicly be fighting against the clock though before the Russians get to strong in re-inforcements. The first couple of turns I would'n't really expect the Russians to attack at all and try to build up their forces. The German units have to take main objectives before the Russians get to strong (like in real life).

If anyone can mod maps, please let Fred, Redit or I know.

Thank you,

Metal
Back to top Go down
https://theatreofconflict.forumotion.com
Klaus_Granheim

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:28 am

I am all for 1 life scenarios, but I think there must be a way to implement "waves" of attackers if a side would like to commit more or less units to the fight. (IE-Germans attacking Leningrad really want to capture it, and it is a 25v25 map....Germans commit 50 infantry, Russians 25. The Match is played and all 25 Germans are killed, while only 10 Russians Die. A mass respawn is done (not a continous individual one as people die) on the german side, and another 25 men attack and defeat the Russians). You eliminate immediate respawns and allow for more of a push on the objective, I think this is really necessary to reflect the conditions the Germans faced later in the war should Barbarossa fail and become a defensive action. I kow the black screen mod can be used and a simple console command can be typed to allow the respawn which announces the name of the player who respawns. If there were a way to hardcode the number of spawns a person could use to say 2 for example in the above scenario it would be that much better.

Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
bswearer
Unit Commander

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm

does that realism mutator have the option of implementing in waves?
Back to top Go down
Klaus_Granheim

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:52 pm

The one I know of is controlled by the individual from the console with a passworded command to respawn. It is used by the 29th for their "realism" scenarios they hold on their server. It would work just fine for waves, as long as folks used it correctly and no respawns occurred until 1 entire side was KIA. It sends a universal chat message of the name and person who respawns, so anyone respawning early or multiple times would broadcast it and hopefully in this campaign, cheating won't make an appearance. It would be easier and safer if an admin could control it though I agree. I dont know if that is possible.
Back to top Go down
{SHD}Kimball

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 pm

I like the idea about waves. Im all for it. Like IRL its all about risk and reward. Axis want to commit 50 men to take the objective then the stakes are that much more higher.
Back to top Go down
bswearer
Unit Commander

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 7:14 pm

http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4427

looks like it is just a mutator that can be preset by admins in web admin. says you can control ammounts of reinforcements (waves) etc.....

this looks very, very good.
Back to top Go down
Metalbourne
Admin
Metalbourne

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:56 am

This would be great for us to use if we can get it. We still need a dedicated RO server for this. Everyone has 32 slot servers but we really need a 40 or 50 slot dedicated RO/CC server.
Back to top Go down
Klaus_Granheim

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:05 am

I know my unit (2.SS) is switching our DH server to RO, you would need to ask Ernst Hoffman or maybe even Werner could tell you what the status on getting it changed over is.
Back to top Go down
Metalbourne
Admin
Metalbourne

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:08 am

AThat would be great if we could use that. 3rdAD/{SHD} has a server for RO and DH, but both are only 32 slots.
Back to top Go down
Klaus_Granheim

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:34 pm

The 2.SS now has a 40 slot RO server that can be used for TOC. We are currently in the process of setting it up and just need to know what modifications are going to be used for TOC.
Back to top Go down
TChristie

TChristie

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Fantastic, Im sure units can contribute towards the SHD DH server to get it from 32 up to 40-50
Back to top Go down
http://www.invasionx.com
Sponsored content

Map/Battle Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Map/Battle Format   Map/Battle Format I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Map/Battle Format
Page 1 of 1